Not to brag or anything, but....I have really, really, really good taste. I mean, I'm cool. And I love cool and awesome and freakin' amazing things. Here are a few of them:
1. "Arrested Development": netflix all 3 seasons immediately! Just don't watch the extended pilot on disc one of season one (by "extended" they mean "containing swearwords"). When you first watch, you will decide that G.O.B Bluth is your favorite--with Michael a close second. But when you watch for the second time, you will begin to appreciate the subtle nuances of Buster and Lucille.
2. Johnny Cash: forever a country music-phobe, I discovered the awesomeness of JC in the nick of time, just a year before he died. Try his second-to-last album, When the Man Comes Around, and tell me he isn't freakin' amazing. Once you start liking him, you will love to hear his old stuff. "Folsom Prison Blues" and "A Boy Named Sue" are particularly cool. "Jackson" is also a favorite.
3. Elephant by the White Stripes: It's no secret that I am obsessed with Jack White, but this album is flat-out awesome even for those who aren't such die-hard fans.
4. Marie Calendar's Chocolate Satin Pie: NEVER buy the chocolate cream pie. Get the satin (or possibly silk) pie that has a circle of whipped cream on top and chocolate shavings.
5. The Lemony Snicket books: Holden and I are having a love affair with Lemony Snicket. I admit, they are a bit dark, but the resourcefulness and good qualities of the kids more than make up for the amount of bad deeds that occur in the books. Plus, the writing is really funny, and I feel like it's coolifying my 5 year old.
6. Becoming Jane: I saw this in London back in March. It rocked my world. Plus, Mr. Tumnus from the Chronic--what!--cles of Narnia was in it.
7. The America's Test Kitchen Family Cook Book: This little gem is changing the way I look at frozen peas.
8. A Confederacy of Dunces: There are some unsavory moments, and I couldn't eat a hot dog without wanting to hurl for a few weeks after I read it, but this book is so hilarious.
9. Buying expensive, but long lasting shoes: for years I have been buying every cheap pair of shoes that tickled my fancy. The result? Horribly disfigured feat. Now I own a pair of Danskos and a pair of Keens. My feet never hurt.
10. Steak: rare or well, New York Strip, or Porterhouse. Add a baked potato, and you're golden.