Thursday, March 17, 2005

Luck O' The Irish

So yesterday I broke my car key off in the ignition while trying to leave the antique store. It just broke right off. Half the key was in the ignition, the other half rested pitifully in my hand. I had one hour before I needed to pick up Holden at pre-school (they charge $1 per minute if you are late) and Mike was in class. What did I do? I called my mother, that's what. And she left work to drive all the way out to north Orem with some needle nose pliers to help me out. She got the key out in an instant and I was back on my way to Target. Oh I love my Irish mother... I picked up Holden, who had made "Leprechaun Pudding" (isn't there a more politically correct way to say that, like "pudding for the little people" or "gooey dessert consumed by the green and vertically challenged"?) and learned about dinosaurs. That's the luck 'o the Irish.

Last night I not only met with more than 20 students, but I also made it home in time to watch "Alias" AND eat a second Hershey's "Take Five." That's the luck o' the Irish.

Later that night I noticed that my freezer was melting my two gallons of ice cream. Thankfully, I live about 7 feet away from my parents' house, so all I had to do was run over there and stuff my ice cream in their freezer (while yelling "my freakin' freezer keeps melting my ice cream--GOSH" in a Napoleon Dynamite-esque voice, mind you). I shudder to think of what that ice cream would look like right now were it not for the fact that I have access to a more reliable second freezer. That's the luck o' the Irish.

I cut my own bangs again today and ALMOST achieved "Hillary Duff-dom." That's the luck o' the Irish.

When I go home tonight I will begin what is essentially a four-day weekend. That's the luck o' the Irish.

For the first time in a month I have no papers to grade this weekend. That's the luck o' the Irish.

I have a roast in the crock pot at home. That's the luck o' the Irish.

The Apprentice is on tonight and my TV is fixed so I can watch it in the comfort of my own home. That's the luck o' the Irish.

I may stop and get french fries to tide me over till the roast is ready tonight. Now that's really the luck o' the Irish.

Happy St. Patty's to all.

7 comments:

  1. It's good to hear someone had such a "lucky" day. A small part of me wishes I could go celebrate St. Patty's day the way it was meant to be celebrated...eating corned beef and cabbage. :) Instead I through something together in the crock pot (I literally invented a new dish) that every single one of my kids refused to eat. And I thought it was good... Not so lucky.

    My daughter spent the entire week talking about how they were making leprechaun traps to catch a leprechaun today and steal its gold. ("They're teaching you WHAT in school?") They didn't catch a vertically-challenged-little-green-man, but apparently one had visited the classroom, torn books of the shelves and made a general big mess. I must have leprechauns hiding in my house somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day...speaking of Irish, where's the mention of Bono?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you could see past the key breaking in the ignition to enjoy your St. Patty's day. That is a real fear of mine. And I can just picture your mom coming to your aid.

    I'm glad it was a great day, and that multiple Take 5's and a big roast were a part of it.

    By the wya, do you still have that "Kiss me I'm Irish" pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh...
    Alias AND take five. Sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um...somehow my comment got lost in the shuffle. However, my comment paralled C-Gull. Weird. Anyway...two of my favorite things...take five and Alias.

    Hope your Irish luck is changing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why-do-you-have-to-be-so-friggin'-lucky? GOSH!

    ReplyDelete