Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Final Countdown (doo doolooo doo, doo doo doo doo doo)

We are leaving Taiwan on April 21st. By my estimation, that means I have about twenty days left here. Now, don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed my time in Taiwan. I don't like to let on that I have, because it would destroy my rep. You know, I'm not one to wax cheesy about the glory of my surroundings. And I really hate that whole "romanticized travel" genre that seeks to capture the breath-taking beauty of the stinky brown canal you pass every day as you walk to the metro. I tell it like it is, renaming streets according to the true sights and smells you encounter as you walk down them (Dog Poo Lane, for example, or Extreme Mildew Way, etc.). So, sorry if you have been disappointed that I haven't written daily over-the-top travel logs about all the wonderful things Taiwan has to offer. I mean, a lot of great things have happened to us here. I wouldn't trade this time for anything. But it has also sort of sucked--as living in a foreign country always does unless you are rich and can create an American bubble to surround yourself in, or if you are fortunate enough to live in a country that sells Prozac over the counter. But I digress.

So, I was thinkin' that I'd do a little daily countdown to the time I leave. A daily PHOTO countdown. This will not be anything like Frozen Cacti's 30 days of photos because I am not talented at photography like she is. This is just a "what I'm doing to pass the time" sort of countdown. So, no comparisons, please. I think you can probably tell from the nature of my posts that I have a fragile enough sense of self-worth as it is without someone pointing out that I ignored the rule of thirds in my photograph.

So, anyway, here's what I did with 20 days to go:

sat around in my apartment, which is housed in this building, and spent some time with

these yayhoos.
(Incidentally, this picture was taken between Dog Poo Lane and Extreme Mildew Way, just after Stinky Tofu Alley.)

And we also watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban twice and read three chapters in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Cause I am all about providing my children with a balanced education in the finer things.

It is pouring down rain today, as it was yesterday and the day before. So we haven't been out much. And I took these pictures on another day, but my camera is out of batteries. So, tomorrow I will go buy some batteries and take some proper pics to document my day, which will probably consist of me going to the grocery store to buy batteries.

So, that's a wrap on day 20! Stay tuned for more excitement from such days as 19 and 18!

5 comments:

  1. If moving to Taiwan makes you post daily than I'm almost supportive of the whole venture. Almost.But not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternatively: dow na now now, dow nuh now now now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also: neener neer neer, neener nee nee nee

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be fun. I can hardly wait to see what you post. I found myself looking at my world a little differently as I struggled to find something to post everyday. It will be interesting to see what the next couple of weeks will present. Oh, by the way, Mike just got back from the mainland and he was definately glad to get away from the smells. After he described it to me I felt an hundred times more sympathetic for you since I can only imagine how much worse it smells being pregnant!!! Your creative street names did get me laughing to myself though. By the way, is it proper to use "a" or "an" before an "h"? Feeling a little self-concious about that.

    ReplyDelete