Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Jews Hate Me (But I Love Them)

I've always considered myself a friend to Jewish people. Growing up I couldn't help but feel a strong connection to the Jews. I mean, who can read The Chosen and not come away loving Reuven and Danny? The Jews always seemed cool because they have so many different sects--Orthodox, Reform, I could go on--and they have all those customs and languages, and outfits, and beards and long curly things on the sides of their heads (well, some have those). They don't eat pork, and I have a real sympathy and admiration for anyone who can withstand the temptation of bacon. I mean who can just not eat bacon? Maybe it was reading all those books about them, or maybe it was the fact that all the seminary teachers at Provo High taught us that we Mormons aren't so different from Jewish people--except for the whole "Messiah" thing. I mean, Mormons and Jews are virtually the same! Heck, I know all the words to "Hava Nagila!" Michael Chabon is my favorite author! Fiddler on the Roof? FANTASTIC! My favorite Christmas album happens to be sung by Neil Diamond. I own the soundtrack to the Jazz Singer! I even wrote a sympathetic poem about the Jews and it won an award and everything! And, as Bono yelled on the stage at the last U2 concert I attended, we are all sons of Abraham. I believe this to be true.

So, you can imagine how excited I was when I found out that not only had my cousin converted from being a Mormon to being a Jew, but that she was also having a Bat Mitzvah! When I heard this, I immediately told my mother that we should do whatever it took to attend the Bat Mitzvah to show our support. Finally, I thought, I can meet some real Jews and become friends with them and show them that I like them a lot, and we can talk about Chaim Potok and Michael Chabon and Neil Diamond, and Golems, which rule.

Well, the moment arrived, and there I was at the Bat Mitzvah, which was impressive and interesting--just like I thought it would be. And then afterwards there was what we Mormons would call a "munch and mingle" with food and what not. While I have to say that some of the food was a little upsetting to me--anchovies, liver paste, etc.--most of the food there was really good and it's not like we don't have our own culturally specific and equally strange Mormon food--jello salads with shredded carrots, etc. So my cousin takes me over to meet some of the people from her synagogue--don't you just love the word "synagogue"?--and here's what happened:

I got all excited and was so happy that my moment had finally come, so I wholeheartedly shook these peoples' hands, telling them how much I enjoyed being included in the Bat Mitzvah, etc. I was so. . . respectful. Then they asked me where I was from.
"Utah," I said proudly.
"Oh, I'm so SORRY," was their response. Then they went on to explain what a backwards and terrible place Utah is , and how bone-headed and closed-minded we Mormons are. I think there may have even been a feigned Utah accent--I believe the word "fark" might have been tossed around a few times--and the mention of jello salad with carrots floating in it. Well you can imagine my bitter disappointment. I had just spent the last twenty years loving these people collectively only to discover that they did not love me back. I guess it's high time they had the chance to ostracize and marginalize somebody, only why did it have to be ME? I spent the rest of the afternoon huddled in a corner with my mom while people cast disapproving glances our way.

Sigh. I still love the Jews, but now I feel like I'm not good enough for them. Why can't they love me too? [Stay tuned for my next post: "African Americans Hate Me (But I Love Them)"]. . .

14 comments:

  1. I'm really afraid Jews would blow me off too. I couldn't handle that because I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carly.
    I'm delurking. Kacy sent me to your blog and I am having an enjoyable time reading through all your posts. Right now I am back when you had Hazel. That's me from Littleton on your sidebar. I think you are funny and I like your spirit of "self revelation/humiliation". I can relate! Who wants to read perfect people blogs. I'm afraid this comment is coming out rather boring. I'm sorry for that. Feel free to read my blog and decide for yourself if I am always this boring.
    ps: I grew up with the Jewish community. They blow everybody off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew how much I loved the Jews until I read this post.

    I guess that means that I've now been set up for major rejection at some point in my life.

    From people who can withstand bacon.

    Dangit! I NEED friends like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, welcome. And thank you for not blowing me off. Anyone with a donut as their avatar is welcome on my blog any day. I will look at your blog asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where was this bat mitzvah anyway? I'll send this on to my wife. Her step-mom is a Jewish convert to Mormonism so the reverse experience will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to make a gross generalization, but I think this may just be Jewish humor or outspokenness. All my mother's family is Jewish and they're always making fun of Mormons, but I know they love me.
    Still, I can understand your disappointment. It'd be so perfect if Jewish people secretly loved Mormons the way we love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog. You have a gift with words that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!! When you write your book someday, I want to buy the first copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to learn more Jewish songs, then they'll like you better. Start with their alphabet song (it's the best ever) and work your way back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My google reader suggested you as a blog I would like today. It was wrong. Because I LOVE IT!

    You're hysterical, and if we were in the same ward we would undoubtedly be great friends. Not because I'm as funny as you, but because I would be an excellent audience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel, thanks for the kind words. I love to find a kindred spirit on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my first taste of champagne at a bar mitzvah (the girl one right?) okay and my last. It is so nice to overgeneralize about other people. My jewish friends growing up were rich, outspoken, void of any real faith and did I mention, rich? They had awesome houses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Mom was not a demonstrably religious Jew. She was first an American, then a Mom. Her jewish relatives-by-marriage scorned her and her children. We, the children, became Christians and have been spurned and looked dowm upon ina manner one could only describe as nasty and racist. How are we expected to love that? As Christians, we turn the other cheek, but it still hurts like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete