Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas in Rexburg

I'm so excited to spend my first Christmas in Rexburg. I wonder if I will regret that we are spending the eve of Christmas eve in a yurt at Harriman State Park? We might regret it when we are snowshoeing for one mile to get to the yurt with all our stuff, including a whiny 3-year-old and a fussy 6-month-old, in tow. We also never really found out what the bathroom situation was at this yurt....Oh well! 'Tis the season for freezing to death in an outhouse! I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience full of snow, and . . . more snow. Another thing that's awesome about Christmas in Rexburg is the fact that the city refuses to plow the roads. Isn't that awesome? I mean, why risk damaging the delicate asphalt? Who wants a pothole when they can have 6 inches of snow and ice on the road instead? Seriously, navigating the streets in this town is more treacherous than driving through a snowy mountain pass. 'Tis the season for sliding right through busy intersections! Apparently the city did finally break down and buy a snowplow. How many years has it been snowing in Rexburg? And they are just NOW buying a snowplow? Furthermore, WHERE is the snowplow? Look at the street in front of my house:

If you think this was taken early in the morning, perhaps before the snowplow made it out for the day, you are wrong. It's 4:30 pm. Oh well. I guess I am just going to have to cowboy up and face one of my biggest fears of all time: driving in the snow (second only to eating a sandwich with mayo, mustard, pickles, and slimy cold cuts...shudder).

There is at least one really good thing about Rexburg, though. The sunsets:
HOOO-AH!

4 comments:

  1. I must agree with Frozen Cacti. You're one tough woman, I'm impressed. It looks like it's time to buy snowmobiles to navigate those streets with. I'm sure you could attatch a car seat to one somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're scared to drive in the snow? I thought that was reserved for only us Oregonians that get snow every 10 years! I was amazed by the lack of plowing when I was in Rexburg, too. It's definitely odd.

    ReplyDelete